A Guide to The Causes of ADHD
Because the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)—impulsivity, inattention, and/or hyperactivity—can impair a child’s ability to flourish academically or get along with others, many people believe that an ADHD child’s conduct is due to a lack of discipline or other issues.
What Could Be the Cause of ADHD?
The unpleasant reality is that no one understands what causes ADHD, but several risk factors exist. According to research, ADHD could be caused by several factors, including:
- Neurological performance. ADHD may be caused by a decrease in functioning in the areas of the brain that control attention and activity level.
- Genes and heredity. A child with ADHD has a one-in-four probability of having a parent with ADHD as well. Another family member, such as a sibling, is likely to have ADHD as well. ADHD is sometimes diagnosed in a parent at the same time as it is diagnosed in a child.
- In some circumstances, head trauma might result in ADHD.
- The chance of having ADHD is increased by fetal immaturity.
- Environmental exposures during pregnancy, such as alcohol or nicotine from smoking, enhance the chance of developing ADHD.
- Toxins in the environment can cause ADHD in some circumstances. For example, lead in the body can have an impact on infant development and behavior.
What Doesn’t Lead to ADHD?
One thing is certain: as more study is conducted, we are discovering not only what causes ADHD, but also what does not. Even though many people assume that the causes listed below can cause ADHD, research has established that they do not.
- TV watching
- Diet, particularly excessive sugar consumption
- Hormone issues (such as low thyroid)
- Poor parenting
- Playing video and computer games
Finally, some final ideas
I understand that my essay did not provide the answers that many people were looking for. The truth is that no one knows what the answers are. Researchers are working hard to discover what causes ADHD, but it does not appear that we will have an answer very soon. However, someone will discover a cure one day, when we least expect it. We shall patiently wait until that day arrives.