How to Change Folder Color on Mac
As a Mac user, you may have noticed that all the folders on your computer are uniformly gray in color. While this might be functional, it can also be boring and monotonous. If you are looking to add a personal touch to your folders or simply to make them more visually appealing, you can easily change their color on your Mac. In this article, we’ll show you how to do just that.
Method 1: Change Folder Color Manually
1. Open Finder: The first step is to open Finder, which is the file manager on your Mac. You can do this by clicking on the Finder icon on your Dock or navigating to your Applications folder, and then opening Finder from there.
2. Select Folder: After opening Finder, select the folder whose color you want to change. You can do this by clicking on it once, or you can select multiple folders by holding down the Command key while clicking them.
3. Open Inspector: Once you have selected the folder(s), click on the “File” menu in the Finder menu bar and select “Get Info” (or use the Command+I keyboard shortcut). This will open the Inspector window for the selected folder(s).
4. Click on Colored Dot: In the Inspector window, you will see a small colored dot next to the folder icon. Click on this dot, and a color palette will appear.
5. Choose a New Color: In the color palette, you can choose any color you want. You can use the color slider to find a specific hue, or you can select a color from the swatches. Once you have selected a new color, click “OK.”
6. Close Window: After choosing a new color, close the Inspector window. The color of your selected folder(s) should have changed to the new hue.
Method 2: Use Third-Party Apps
There are also third-party apps available that allow you to change folder colors on Mac. Here are two popular ones:
Folder Colorizer: Folder Colorizer is a free app that allows you to change the color of your folders on Mac. After installing the app, select the folder whose color you want to change, and then click on the colored dot that appears. The color palette will appear, and you can choose a new color from there.
Folder Marker: Folder Marker is another app that lets you change folder colors on Mac. This app has a wider range of customization options, allowing you to not only change the color of your folders but also add icons or images to them. After you install the app, simply right-click on the folder you want to customize and choose “Folder Marker” from the context menu. You can then choose a new color or add an icon or image to the folder.
Changing the color of folders on Mac is a quick and easy way to personalize your computer and make file organization more visually appealing. Whether you choose to do it manually or use third-party apps, this customization can add a personal touch and make your Mac experience more enjoyable.