How to Add a Column in Excel (2 Ways)
Excel is the most widely used software for organizing and analyzing data. It is an extremely versatile tool and allows users to manipulate and sort data in a variety of ways. One common task that users may need to perform on Excel is adding a column. This tutorial will show you two simple ways to add a column in Excel.
Method 1: Using the Insert Function
1. Select the column adjacent to where you want to add a new column. In this scenario, if you want to add a new column after column C, select column D.
2. Right-click on the selected column and click on “Insert” in the drop-down menu.
3. A new column will appear to the left of the selected column. If you want to put it to the right, select the column that you want the new column to appear next to, and then select “Insert” again.
4. Rename the new column by double-clicking on the header cell and typing in the new name.
Method 2: Using the Ribbon
1. Click on the column letter header to select the entire column.
2. Click on the “Home” tab on the Ribbon.
3. Click on the “Insert” button in the “Cells” group.
4. A new column will appear to the left of the selected column.
5. Rename the new column by double-clicking on the header cell and typing in the new name.