Are ti-84 calculators allowed in ACT
As students prepare for the ACT, one of their key concerns is whether they can use a calculator during the test. The good news is that calculators are permitted for use in certain sections of the exam. However, there are guidelines and rules to follow regarding which calculators are allowed. In this article, we will discuss if the TI-84 calculator series is authorized for use in the ACT and provide helpful tips to ensure students follow the regulations.
TI-84 Calculator Series: A Suitable Choice for the ACT
The TI-84 calculator series, produced by Texas Instruments, is a popular choice among high school students due to its versatile capabilities and user-friendly interface. The most common models from this series include:
1. TI-84 Plus
2. TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
3. TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition (color)
4. TI-84 Plus CE (color)
Given their features and ease of use, students often query if these models are allowed in the ACT testing room. The answer is yes – all four of these TI-84 calculators are permitted on the ACT math section, according to the official ACT guidelines.
ACT Calculator Policy
The ACT has clear rules about which types of calculators are permitted during the test. Acceptable calculator types include:
1. Four-function calculators
2. Scientific calculators
3. Graphing calculators
The TI-84 series falls under the graphing category and meets all criteria laid out by the ACT calculator policy.
However, there are specific conditions that prohibit certain calculator functionalities during the exam to maintain a level playing field for all students:
1. No computer algebra system (CAS) functionality – Calculators with CAS abilities can perform advanced calculations or symbolic manipulations that provide an unfair advantage.
2. No wireless communication capability – This prevents exam content sharing and communication between test-takers.
3. No stylus input devices – Touchscreens and other stylus-input tools are not allowed.
As long as the TI-84 models do not possess these prohibited features, they are permitted for use in the ACT testing environment.
Tips for Using Your TI-84 Calculator on the ACT
1. Familiarize yourself with the calculator: Ensure you know how to utilize the calculator’s functions effectively. Practice using it regularly during your prep process.
2. Use a permitted model: Stick to approved TI-84 calculators to avoid any issues on the test day.
3. Check your calculator: Make sure your calculator is in perfect working condition and that its batteries are fully charged before entering the exam room.
4. Be prepared for alternative methods: In case of unexpected technical problems or if asked to rely on mental math, be prepared to solve problems manually.
The TI-84 series calculators are indeed allowed in the ACT, and they serve as efficient tools to help students excel in the math section of this crucial exam. By adhering to the ACT calculator policy guidelines and preparing well, students can confidently walk into the testing room knowing they have an approved device and advantage in their hands.