What Is a GZ File and How Do You Unzip It?
A GZ file, also known as a GNU Zip file, is a type of compressed file format that is commonly used in the UNIX or Linux operating systems. This file format is created by compressing one or more files using the gzip program, which reduces the file size and makes it easier to transfer or store.
Many software applications and operating systems are capable of handling GZ files, but if you are new to this file format, you may wonder how to open or unzip it on your computer. In this article, we will explore what a GZ file is and how you can unzip it using different methods.
What is a GZ file?
As mentioned earlier, a GZ file is a compressed file format that reduces the file size and speed up file transfer or storage. The GZ file extension is commonly associated with UNIX or Linux operating systems, but it can also be opened on Windows or macOS using compatible software applications.
A GZ file is created by compressing one or more files using the gzip program. The compression process reduces the file size by removing any redundant information, making it easier to store and move around. When you download a GZ file from the internet or receive it via email, you will need to unzip it to access its contents.
How to unzip a GZ file
There are different ways to unzip a GZ file, depending on the operating system and software applications you are using. Here are some methods you can try:
Method 1: Using WinZip or 7-Zip on Windows
If you are using Windows, you can use WinZip or 7-Zip to unzip a GZ file. Here’s how:
1. Download and install either WinZip or 7-Zip from their respective websites.
2. Right-click on the GZ file you want to unzip.
3. Select “Extract files” or “Unzip here” from the context menu.
4. Choose the destination folder to extract the files to.
5. Click “OK” to start the extraction process.
Method 2: Using Terminal on macOS or Linux
If you are using macOS or Linux, you can use Terminal to unzip a GZ file. Here’s how:
1. Open Terminal from the Applications folder or using the spotlight search.
2. Type the following command to unzip the GZ file: gzip -d file.gz
(replace file.gz with the name of the GZ file you want to unzip)
3. Press Enter to execute the command.
4. The contents of the GZ file will be extracted to the same directory as the GZ file.
Method 3: Using online tools
If you don’t want to install any additional software on your computer, you can use online tools to unzip a GZ file. Here’s how:
1. Go to an online GZ file extraction tool such as Extract.me, CloudConvert, or OnlineConvertFree.
2. Upload the GZ file you want to extract.
3. Choose the file format and destination folder.
4. Click “Start conversion” or “Extract” to start the extraction process.