How to Turn on Dark Mode for Gmail (or All of Chrome)
Dark mode has become increasingly popular among users as it offers a visually appealing and more comfortable viewing experience, especially in low-light environments. If you’re an avid Gmail user or prefer browsing the web with Google Chrome, you may be interested in enabling dark mode for Gmail or even across the entire Chrome browser. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to turn on dark mode for Gmail and provide instructions for enabling it throughout your Chrome browser.
Turning on Dark Mode for Gmail
To enable dark mode specifically for your Gmail account:
1. Open Gmail in your web browser.
2. Click on the gear icon located at the top right corner of the screen to access Settings.
3. From the dropdown menu, select “Themes”.
4. Scroll down until you find “Dark” under “Choose Your Theme” section.
5. Click on “Save” to apply and activate dark mode immediately.
Enabling Dark Mode Across Google Chrome
If you want to experience dark mode not just within Gmail but also throughout your entire browsing session using Google Chrome:
1 . Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
2 . Click on the three-dot menu icon located at the top right corner of the window.
3 . From the dropdown menu, hover over “Settings”.
4 . Choose “Appearance”.
5 . Under “Appearance”, locate “Theme”.
6 . By default, it should be set to “Default System Theme”. To enable dark mode across all websites viewed in Google Chrome:
• Select either:
• “Dark: This option applies a system-wide dark theme that affects not only websites but also other aspects of Chrome’s user interface.”
7 . Once selected, close and reopen any existing tabs or relaunch Google Chrome entirely for changes to take effect.
Here are a few additional tips to enhance your dark mode experience in Gmail and Chrome:
• If you want to revert back to the default light mode, follow the same steps mentioned above but choose the respective light theme option instead.
• Keep in mind that enabling dark mode for Gmail or Chrome only affects your user interface and display settings. It does not change the appearance of websites themselves unless they have their own built-in dark mode feature.
• Some websites may not be optimized for dark mode, resulting in text or content being difficult to read. In such cases, you can disable dark mode temporarily by switching back to the default theme.
By following these simple steps, you can easily turn on dark mode for your Gmail account and even enable it across all of Google Chrome. Dark mode provides a visually appealing browsing experience while reducing eye strain, especially when using devices in low-light environments.