How to Make a String Ornament: 11 Steps
1. Gather supplies: To begin making your string ornament, you’ll need the following materials: embroidery thread or yarn, small balloons, white glue or fabric stiffener, disposable cups, a small brush or sponge, scissors, a needle, and some string.
2. Prepare the work area: Cover your workspace with a plastic sheet or newspaper to protect the surface from glue spills.
3. Inflate balloons: Blow up the small balloons to your desired size, but not too large – somewhere between golf-ball and tennis-ball size works well. The more oblong the balloon shape is, the better it holds the string in place.
4. Tie and cut strings: Cut long strands of embroidery thread (or yarn) based on your desired length for the ornament. Make sure you have enough string to cover the entire surface of the balloon while considering its diameter.
5. Prepare glue mixture: In a disposable cup, mix equal parts of white glue or fabric stiffener and water. Stir until thoroughly combined.
6. Dip strings in glue mixture: Submerge one cut string into the glue mixture and ensure it’s completely coated.
7. Wrap the balloon: Hold the balloon with one hand while using the other to wrap the string around it in all directions. Be careful not to wrap too tightly or the balloon may pop!
8. Hang ornaments to dry: Once you’ve wrapped all your balloons in string, tie another piece of string to their ends and hang them to dry from a clothesline or curtain rod. Make sure they aren’t touching each other to prevent sticking.
9. Let dry completely: Leave your wrapped-string ornaments to dry for at least 24 hours or until they feel hard and stiff to touch.
10. Pop balloons and remove them: Once the ornaments are completely dry, use a needle to carefully pop each balloon inside. Slowly and gently detach the string from the deflated balloon, and then remove the remnants.
11. Attach hanging loops: Add a loop of string or ribbon to the top of each ornament for easy hanging. Your string ornaments are now ready to be displayed on your tree, around your home, or given as gifts!
Follow these 11 steps to create beautiful and unique string ornaments for a festive touch to your holiday decor!