How to Download, Install, and Use the Windows Package Manager (Winget)
If you’re a Windows user, you’re probably used to searching for software online, downloading the installer, and going through the installation process manually. However, Microsoft has released a new tool called the Windows Package Manager (Winget) that allows you to easily download and install apps, all through the command prompt. Here’s everything you need to know to get started with Winget.
Downloading and Installing Winget
Before you can start using Winget, you need to download and install it on your Windows machine. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open a new command prompt window with administrator privileges. You can do this by opening the Start menu, typing “cmd”, right-clicking “Command Prompt,” and choosing “Run as administrator.”
2. Copy and paste the following command into the command prompt window:
`> powershell -command “iwr -useb https://aka.ms/install-winget | iex”`
This will use PowerShell to download and install the Winget package.
3. Once the installation is complete, you can verify that Winget is installed by typing the following command into the command prompt:
`> winget –version`
If you see the version number displayed, Winget is installed and you’re ready to start using it!
Now that you have Winget installed, you can start using it to download and install apps. Here’s how:
1. Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges.
2. Type the following command to see a list of available apps:
`> winget search [app name]`
Replace [app name] with the name of the app you’re looking for. For example, if you’re looking for the web browser “Firefox,” the command would be:
`> winget search firefox`
This will return a list of all the apps that match your search term.
3. Once you’ve found the app you want to install, use the following command to install it:
`> winget install [app name]`
Replace [app name] with the name of the app you want to install. For example, if you want to install “Firefox,” the command would be:
`> winget install firefox`
This will download and install the app on your machine.
Winget also supports other commands, such as “upgrade” to upgrade an installed app, “show” to show information about a specific app, and “uninstall” to remove an app from your system.
The Windows Package Manager (Winget) is a great tool for easily downloading and installing apps on your Windows machine. By following these simple steps, you can have Winget up and running in no time, which can save you time and effort when it comes to installing new software.