How to Clean a Large Area Rug: 11 Steps
Cleaning a large area rug may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and techniques, you can restore your rug to its original beauty. Follow these 11 steps to clean your large area rug effectively.
1. Remove heavy furniture: Remove any furniture or objects placed on the rug to ensure thorough cleaning and avoid any damage.
2. Vacuum both sides: Vacuum the top side of the rug to remove dirt, dust, and debris. Then, flip the rug over and vacuum the underside.
3. Shake it out: Take your rug outdoors and give it a good shake or use a rug beater to remove any remaining loose dirt and dust.
4. Spot clean stains: Pre-treat any stains by applying a carpet cleaner or homemade cleaning solution (vinegar and water mixture) directly onto the stain with a clean cloth or sponge.
5. Choose the right cleaning method: Choose between steam cleaning, dry cleaning, or washing your large area rug depending on its material and manufacturer’s recommendations.
6. Steam cleaning: Rent or buy a steam cleaner and fill it with water and carpet cleaning solution. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using the machine to thoroughly clean your area rug.
7. Dry cleaning: Some rugs require dry cleaning to prevent damage or color bleeding. Consult a professional rug cleaner for this service.
8. Washing: If your rug is washable, use mild detergent and water to gently scrub the surface with a soft brush or sponge. Rinse thoroughly with water using a garden hose or a bucket.
9. Remove excess water: Use towels, a wet/dry vacuum, or even a squeegee to remove excess water from your area rug after washing.
10. Dry your rug completely: Lay your area rug flat in direct sunlight or in an area with good airflow to ensure proper drying. Flip it occasionally to ensure even drying on both sides.
11. Vacuum and replace: Once your rug is completely dry, vacuum it one more time to remove any remaining dirt or detergent residue. Place your clean area rug in the desired location and replace any furniture.
By following these 11 steps, you’ll be able to clean your large area rug effectively and keep it looking good for years to come. Remember to always check the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for care and cleaning to prevent any damage to your valuable rug.