‘Warcraft’ explained: What you need to know to understand the movie
The Warcraft universe is vast and fascinating, with countless fans immersing themselves in its rich lore and history. The 2016 film adaptation, directed by Duncan Jones and simply titled ‘Warcraft,’ invites even more audiences to explore this fantasy realm. If you are new to the world of Warcraft and its intricate storylines, this article aims to provide you with essential information to help you understand the movie better.
The World of Azeroth:
Azeroth is the central setting for both the video games and film. This fantasy world is home to various races and factions, each with unique traits, abilities, and cultures. Key locations like the human kingdom of Stormwind, the orcish homeland of Draenor, and the magical city of Dalaran serve as essential backdrop elements throughout the story.
To fully grasp the Warcraft movie, it is crucial to know about the two primary factions: the Alliance and the Horde.
1. The Alliance – Representing order and stability, the Alliance consists mainly of humans but also includes dwarves, gnomes, night elves, draenei, and worgen. In the movie, they defend Azeroth against invading forces from Draenor.
2. The Horde – In contrast to the Alliance, which is driven by values like honor and justice, the Horde prioritizes survival above all else. Led by Durotan and Orgrim Doomhammer in the film, these orcs bravely fight against their corrupt leader Gul’dan’s dark influence over their people.
1. Sir Anduin Lothar (Travis Fimmel) – As a military commander of Azeroth’s human forces and a central protagonist in ‘Warcraft,’ Lothar leads his troops in battles against threats from all sides.
2. Durotan (Toby Kebbell) – Durotan is the chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan and a primary protagonist in the movie. He fights against Gul’dan’s tyranny within the Horde.
3. Medivh (Ben Foster) – The enigmatic Guardian of Tirisfal, entrusted with protecting Azeroth from dark forces, Medivh has a prominent role in Warcraft’s storyline.
4. Khadgar (Ben Schnetzer) – As a young mage searching for his purpose, Khadgar plays an instrumental role in helping unlock mysteries and overcoming obstacles faced by Azeroth’s defenders.
5. Gul’dan (Daniel Wu) – Warcraft’s primary antagonist, Gul’dan is a nefarious orc sorcerer who embraces dark powers to manipulate events both on Draenor and Azeroth.
It is critical to understand the concept of “the Fel,” a destructive force responsible for many conflicts in the Warcraft universe. This malevolent power twists its users into monstrous creatures while boosting their abilities immensely. Gul’dan wields this dark energy to create an army to conquer Azeroth, resulting in dire consequences for both sides of the conflict.
In conclusion, having a grasp on Azeroth’s different factions, key characters, and central concepts like “the Fel” will enhance your understanding of the Warcraft movie. Whether you are new or familiar with this immersive world, exploring its narrative through film offers an engaging experience for fans and newcomers alike.