How to do percent on calculator
Calculating percentages is an essential skill that we often use in various situations like determining discounts at shopping centers, calculating interest rates, and figuring out grades. Although doing percentages in your head or on paper can be manageable, using a calculator makes the process faster and more accurate. In this article, we will explore the steps and tips for doing percent calculations on different types of calculators.
Basic Percentage Calculation:
To calculate a percentage of a number, you simply multiply the number by the percentage relative to 100. Using this simple formula, you can perform basic percentage calculations on any calculator.
Here’s the step-by-step procedure:
1. Convert the percentage you want to find to its decimal form by dividing it by 100.
2. Enter the number you want to find a percentage of into your calculator.
3. Multiply the decimal percentage by the number.
4. The result is the desired percentage of your provided number.
Example: Find 20% of 50
1. Convert 20% to decimal form (20/100 = 0.2)
2. Enter 50 into your calculator
3. Multiply 50 by 0.2 (50 * 0.2 = 10)
4. The result (10) is 20% of 50
Using Special Percentage Buttons on Calculators:
Many scientific and financial calculators come with built-in functions or dedicated percentage buttons to make calculating percentages easier.
The most common buttons are labeled either as “%” or “Percent”. Here’s how you use them:
1. Enter the number you want to find a percentage of into your calculator.
2. Press either “%” or “Percent” button to convert your number to a decimal representation.
3. Enter the desired percentage you want as a whole number.
4. Multiply this new decimal value by the desired percentage.
5. The result is the desired percentage of your provided number.
1. Enter 50 into your calculator
2. Press the “Percent” button
3. Enter the desired percentage (20)
4. Multiply this new decimal value (0.5) by the desired percentage (20).
5. The result, 10, is 20% of 50
Tips for Using Your Calculator’s Percentage Functions:
1. Always refer to your calculator’s manual for specific instructions on using its percentage functions.
2. Many calculators automatically perform percentage calculations as you enter the numbers and press the appropriate buttons.
3. Remember that some calculators use parentheses to group calculations, so be sure to structure your inputs accordingly.
Calculating percentages on a calculator is simple once you understand the basic formula and how to use any specialized functions available on your specific device. By following these steps and tips, you can quickly find percentages with improved speed and accuracy, making everyday calculations a breeze.