How Do Learning Analytics Benefit Educators?
When tech is revolutionizing education, it is immediately obvious that the learner’s experience changes with the changing education environment. But we seldom focus on the other equally essential group whose main focus is always on finding ways to improve the education process. Yes, we are talking about the educators without whose support education reform would be impossible.
Data analytics is propelling the steps in pedagogical reforms. It is empowering educators to make learning effective for learners. Educators have been using data to inspect how learners are learning and performing primarily in terms of test scores and homework grades.
The goal of learning analytics is to allow educators and schools to tailor educational opportunities to each learner’s level of need and ability as close to real time as possible.
The four critical objectives, which learning analytics accomplishes in education, are:
- To enable learners to find their achievement against other learners.
- To help educators offer timely support to learners who need special mentoring.
- To improve the quality of education offered in the classroom.
- To allow managers to decide on future actions suitable to newly arrived learners and adapt curricula accordingly.
For learners to adapt to a new way of learning, educators must get ahead of that change. With the proper analytical tools, educators will be able to better understand each learner’s needs, capabilities, and interests. This is where learning analytics has proven to be a perfect tool for educators as it gives them insight and context. Analytics gives educators meaningful and precise information about learners, which plays a crucial role in shaping learners’ progress.
The benefits of learning analytics
- It helps in achieving a better learners’ experience as learners benefit from a more personalized learning experience. It also improves learners’ retention with timely support and guidance from educators.
- It helps schools reduce the dropout levels by a large extent by essentially improving learners’ success rates.
- It helps educators to produce well-rounded, challenging, and thoughtful adults. It improves the level of teaching and extends learning beyond the four walls of a classroom and the simple transmission of content. It scales up to a level where teaching is more about developing critical thinking, triggering collaborative interaction and establishing a creative environment in which learners can nurture their skills and abilities to the best possible extent.
Data will fuel the modern education system and pedagogy. There are amazing benefits of implementing learning analytics in education. From e-learning to higher education, the adoption of learning analytics is beneficial and allows educators to make instructional adjustments that improve learner outcomes. Right from quality assurance to intervention to identifying at-risk subgroups, implementation of learning analytics has proved for institutions.