Hearty Beef Stew with Dumplings | The Ultimate Beef Casserole with Dumplings Recipe
Beef stew with dumplings is a comforting, wholesome dish that boasts rich, delicious flavors. Perfect for cold, winter days, or to be enjoyed year-round, this casserole brings the best of both worlds with melt-in-your-mouth beef and pillowy dumplings. Read on for the ultimate beef stew and dumpling recipe that’s sure to become a new family favorite.
For the beef stew:
– 2 lbs beef chuck, diced into 1-inch chunks
– 3 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 large carrots, diced
– 3 stalks celery, diced
– 4 cups beef broth
– 14 oz can diced tomatoes
– 1 cup red wine (optional)
– 2 bay leaves
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– Fresh parsley for garnishing
For the dumplings:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup milk
– 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Preparing the beef stew:
1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add oil. Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper.
2. In batches, sear the beef until they’re brown on all sides. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chopped onions and garlic. Cook until onions are soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
4. Add in carrots and celery, cooking for an additional two minutes.
5. Return seared beef chunks to the pot along with beef broth, can of diced tomatoes, red wine (if using), and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for 1.5 hours or until the beef is tender. Remove bay leaves.
Making the dumplings:
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Stir in milk and melted butter to form a thick batter.
3. Using a spoon or your hands, scoop small portions of dumpling batter and drop them into the simmering stew in an even distribution.
4. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes until dumplings are cooked through, puffed up, and firm to touch.
5. Serve your beef stew with dumplings piping hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
Impress your family and friends with this nourishing meal that offers tender chunks of beef surrounded by flavorful vegetables in a rich broth complimented by billowy homemade dumplings. This beef stew with dumplings recipe is sure to become a beloved classic in your household.