Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipe – How To Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
A delicious spaghetti sauce is the heart of any pasta dish, and when it’s homemade, it becomes even more special. With endless variations, it allows you to create a sauce that suits your taste buds perfectly. Discover the secret to making the best homemade spaghetti sauce with this simple and flavorful recipe!
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 lb ground beef or ground sausage (optional)
– 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
– 2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes with juices
– 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
– 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
– 2 tsp sugar
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1/2 tsp dried basil
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1 bay leaf
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes until it softens and becomes translucent.
2. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly to infuse the flavors into the oil.
3. If using ground meat, add it to the saucepan and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain any excess fat.
4. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes along with their juices, and tomato paste. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
5. If using red wine, pour it into the sauce mixture to enhance flavor nuances. This step is optional but highly recommended.
6. Add sugar, salt, oregano, basil, black pepper, and bay leaf to the tomato mixture. Stir well to ensure even distribution of flavors.
7. Reduce the heat to low, and partially cover the saucepan with a lid, allowing it to simmer for around 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking or burning.
8. Once the homemade spaghetti sauce has reached its desired consistency and flavor, remove the bay leaf and discard it. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Serve this delicious homemade spaghetti sauce over your favorite spaghetti pasta, and pair it with garlic bread or a fresh salad for the perfect meal. Leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freezer for up to 2 months. Enjoy!