Best Leek and Potato Soup Recipe – How to Make Leek and Potato Soup
Leek and potato soup is a delicious, hearty, and comforting dish that’s perfect for warming you up on a cold winter day. With its rich and creamy texture, this classic recipe is an all-time favorite for many. In this article, we will share the best leek and potato soup recipe—simple to make, yet packed with flavor.
– 4 cups sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
– 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 1 cup heavy cream
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Fresh chives for garnish
1. Preparing the ingredients: Begin by thoroughly washing the leeks to remove soil and debris that might be trapped within the layers. Once clean, slice them finely. Peel the potatoes and cut them into roughly ½-inch cubes.
2. Sautéing the vegetables: In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent—about 5 minutes. Next, add the sliced leeks to the pot, stirring occasionally until they soften—approximately another 5 minutes.
3. Cooking the soup: Add the diced potatoes to the pot along with chicken or vegetable broth. Bring everything to a boil before lowering the heat. Let it simmer gently for around 20-25 minutes, or until both the leeks and potatoes are soft.
4. Blending: While it’s possible to serve your leek and potato soup without blending it further, using an immersion blender creates a smoother texture more often associated with this particular dish. If you prefer a more rustic finish instead, simply skip this step.
5. Finishing touches: Once blended, stir in the heavy cream and season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serving: When ready, ladle the soup into bowls and top with freshly chopped chives for added flavor and a touch of color.
There you have it—the best leek and potato soup recipe. Not only is it easy to make, but you’ll love its creamy flavor and satisfying heartiness. Serve it as either a starter or a main course alongside some crusty bread. Enjoy!