Best Fried Okra Recipe – How to Make Fried Okra
Fried okra is a traditional Southern American delight that brings a delicious crunch and flavor that many people love. This dish can be a perfect side to various cuisines or even as a tasty snack on its own. Here, we’ll share the best fried okra recipe that is crispy, delicious, and easy to make.
– 1/2 lb fresh okra, washed and trimmed
– 1 cup buttermilk
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup yellow cornmeal
– 2 teaspoons kosher salt
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
– Vegetable oil for frying
1. Prepare the okra by cutting it into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place the sliced okra in a bowl and pour buttermilk over it. Ensure all the pieces are coated well with buttermilk, then let it marinate for around 10 minutes.
2. In a separate shallow dish, mix together the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). This mixture will be used to coat the marinated okra.
3. Heat about two inches of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or frying pan to approximately 350°F. You can test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread into it; if it sizzles and turns golden brown in about 10 seconds, your oil is ready for frying.
4. Remove the okra slices from the buttermilk and let any excess liquid drip off. Coat each slice with the flour and cornmeal mixture, making sure they are covered fully.
5. Carefully drop the coated okra slices into the hot oil one by one to avoid overcrowding the pan. Fry them in batches if necessary. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove the fried okra from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Let them cool down slightly before serving.
Enjoy your crispy fried okra as a side dish with your main course or as a scrumptious snack alongside your favorite dipping sauce. This easy-to-follow recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household and bring the irresistible taste of Southern cuisine to your kitchen.