3 Ways to Get Local Channels on Roku
Roku, one of the most famous and widely-used streaming devices, offers a vast selection of channels to cater to every type of audience. However, people sometimes struggle to access local channels on their Roku devices. This article will explore three ways to get local channels on Roku, so you can enjoy your favorite local news, sports, and entertainment shows.
1. Using a Streaming Service
Several streaming services offer access to local channels as part of their subscription packages. Here are some popular options:
1. Hulu + Live TV: This service not only gives you access to popular cable networks but also covers local channels such as ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC in most areas.
2. YouTube TV: With its comprehensive lineup of channels, YouTube TV also includes access to local networks for news and sports. Check the channel availability in your area on their official website.
3. Sling TV: Though Sling Blue and Sling Orange don’t directly provide local channels, they can be combined with AirTV or an HD antenna setup (discussed below) for seamless integration into your Roku device.
2. Using an Antenna
An HD antenna connects directly to your TV and allows you to receive free over-the-air broadcast signals from nearby stations, often including major networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. To integrate this setup with your Roku device:
a. Purchase an HD antenna appropriate for your location.
b. Connect the antenna directly to your television.
c. Install the Roku TV Antenna input app that corresponds with your specific Roku device model.
d. Follow the on-screen instructions to scan for available stations.
Once completed, you’ll be able to watch local channels on your Roku device alongside other streaming content.
3. Utilizing Official Network Apps
Many local network affiliates offer their own official apps on the Roku Channel Store. You can find apps for major networks, such as ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, as well as local news outlets like NewsOn. Some of these apps are free, while others might require a cable or streaming service subscription to access their content.
It’s not difficult to get local channels on your Roku device. By choosing one of the methods above – subscribing to a streaming service, using an HD antenna, or employing official network apps – you can enjoy all your local programming alongside a vast array of digital content available via Roku.