3 Easy Ways to Remove Urine Smell from Clothes
Accidents happen, and sometimes, clothes are left with the strong and unpleasant smell of urine. Whether it’s due to little ones who are still learning to potty train or the result of dealing with incontinence, removing urine smell from clothes is crucial. Luckily, there are some easy and effective methods to tackle this issue. In this article, we will explore three simple ways to remove urine smell from your clothing.
1.Vinegar and Baking Soda Solution:
One of the most popular ways to remove urine smell from clothes is by using a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda. These two natural household items have excellent deodorizing properties that can help break down odor-causing compounds in the fabric.
– Fill up your washing machine with cold water as hot water may set the stain and cause the odor to linger.
– Add one cup of white vinegar.
– Pour in half a cup of baking soda.
– Soak the affected clothing in this solution for at least one hour.
– Run the washing machine on a regular cycle.
– Dry the clothing naturally, if possible, since sunlight also helps neutralize odors. Else, use a tumble dryer at low heat.
An alternative solution for eliminating urine smell from clothes is using an enzymatic cleaner designed to break down proteins and organic materials that cause odor. These cleaners are especially useful for tough or persistent odors and can be found at most grocery stores or online retailers.
– Read the instructions on your chosen enzymatic cleaner as each product has different strengths and concentrations.
– Pre-treat your clothing by applying the cleaner directly onto the affected area and let it sit as per the label’s directions (usually around 15 minutes).
– Rinse the clothing thoroughly under cold water before pretreated items in a washing machine.
– For added cleaning power, add your regular detergent and the recommended amount of enzymatic cleaner to the washing machine.
– Run the washing machine on a regular cycle and then dry as usual.
Oxygen bleach, unlike chlorine bleach, is safe for most fabrics and colors and can be an effective solution in removing urine odor from clothes. Always read the label before using oxygen bleach to ensure its compatibility with your clothing materials.
– Fill a bucket or tub with cold water.
– Add the recommended amount of oxygen bleach according to the product’s label. Stir well.
– Soak your affected clothing in the mixture for several hours or overnight.
– After soaking, wash the clothes in your washing machine as you normally would, including your regular detergent.
– Allow the clothes to dry naturally or use a tumble dryer at low heat.
No one wants to deal with urine-smelling clothes, but thankfully we have these three easy and effective methods to eliminate odors. Whether you choose the vinegar and baking soda solution, enzymatic cleaner, or oxygen bleach, these methods will ensure that both you and your clothes can breathe easy once again.