How to Set Up and Use the Alexa Sleep Timer
If you’re someone who relies on music to fall asleep, you’re probably familiar with the struggle of having to manually stop playback once you doze off. Thankfully, Alexa’s sleep timer feature solves this problem for you.
With Alexa, you can set up a specific timer for your music or podcast playback. Once the timer runs out, Alexa will stop the audio and let you sleep peacefully through the night. Additionally, you can use the Alexa sleep timer to set a duration for meditation, audiobook playback, and other activities you may engage in before you fall asleep.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of setting up and using the Alexa sleep timer.
Step 1: Enable the Alexa sleep timer
Before you can start using the sleep timer, you’ll need to enable it. To do that, you need to open the Alexa app on your smartphone and follow these steps:
1. Tap on the “More” icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Select “Settings.”
3. Scroll down and select “Accessibility.”
4. Enable the “Sleep Timer” function.
Step 2: Set the Alexa sleep timer
Once you’ve enabled the sleep timer, you can start setting it up. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Place your Echo speaker or smart display in a convenient location near your bed.
2. Use your voice to activate Alexa by saying “Alexa” followed by “Set a sleep timer for 30 minutes” (or whatever time duration you prefer).
3. Once you’ve set the timer, you’ll get a confirmation message from Alexa, and the timer will start.
4. Alternatively, you can use the Alexa app to set up the sleep timer. Open the app, tap on the “Play” icon, choose your preferred music or podcast, and select the “Sleep Timer” button. Then set your desired duration.
Step 3: Use the Alexa sleep timer
Once the sleep timer is set up, you can use it as intended. Here’s how:
1. Start playing your music or podcast as you usually would.
2. When you’re ready to sleep, activate Alexa using the wake word (e.g., “Alexa”) and ask her to set the sleep timer.
3. Alexa will automatically stop the playback once the timer runs out.
4. If you want to turn off the timer earlier, use your voice to command, “Alexa, cancel sleep timer.”
Setting up and using the Alexa sleep timer is a straightforward process. By following the steps outlined above, you can ensure that your music playback stops once you drift off to sleep. This handy feature cuts down on wasted time spent stopping playback manually, allowing you to make the most of your sleep time. Give it a try, and you’ll never have to worry about accidentally letting your music or podcasts run all night again.