How to Reinstall macOS Without Losing Any Data
Reinstalling macOS is an easy way to troubleshoot software-related issues on your Mac. But in the process of reinstalling macOS, you may lose all your data, which can be a nightmare for anyone. However, there are ways to reinstall macOS without losing any data. In this article, we will discuss how to reinstall macOS without losing any data.
Before we begin, it is important to back up your important files. While the process of reinstalling macOS without losing data is relatively safe, there is still a chance that your data might get lost or corrupted. So it is always better to have a backup of your important files.
Step 1: Create a Bootable Installer Drive
To create a bootable installer drive, you will need a USB drive of at least 8GB capacity. Follow these steps to create a bootable installer drive:
1. Go to the App Store and download macOS. Once the download is complete, the installer will open automatically. Close the installer to proceed to the next step.
2. Plug in your USB drive to your Mac.
3. Open Disk Utility by going to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
4. In Disk Utility, select the USB drive from the left sidebar.
5. Click on the “Erase” button in the toolbar.
6. Give your USB drive a name, select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” under “Format,” and click on the “Erase” button. This will erase all the data on your USB drive, so make sure you have backed up any important files.
7. Once the drive is formatted, open Terminal by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
8. In Terminal, type the following command: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/USB –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
9. Hit Enter and enter your administrator password when prompted.
10. Wait for the process to complete.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a bootable installer drive.
Step 2: Reinstalling macOS Without Losing Any Data
Once you have created a bootable installer drive, follow these steps to reinstall macOS without losing any data:
1. Plug in the bootable installer drive to your Mac.
2. Restart your Mac while holding down the Option key.
3. Select the bootable installer drive from the options and hit Enter.
4. Once the installer loads, select your language and click on “Continue.”
5. Click on “Install macOS” and then click on “Continue.”
6. Agree to the terms and conditions and click on “Continue.”
7. Select the drive you want to install macOS on and click on “Install.”
8. Wait for the installation process to complete.
9. Once the installation is complete, your Mac will restart.
Congratulations! You have successfully reinstalled macOS without losing any data.
In conclusion, the process of reinstalling macOS without losing any data is relatively easy if you follow these steps. However, it is always better to back up your important files before starting the process. By following these steps, you can troubleshoot software-related issues on your Mac without losing your valuable data.