How to Make Banana Peel Tea: 9 Steps
Banana peel tea is a nutrient-rich beverage made from the underrated peels of bananas. This simple homemade tea is packed with vitamins and minerals, offering health benefits like improved digestion and better sleep. Follow these nine steps to make your very own banana peel tea.
1. Gather the ingredients: For banana peel tea, you’ll need just a few items – ripe organic bananas (make sure they are not overly ripe or pretty much brown), filters water, and optional sweeteners like honey, stevia, or cinnamon.
2. Clean the bananas: Thoroughly wash your bananas under running water to remove any dirt or pesticide residue. It’s best to use organic bananas which come with fewer chemicals on their surface.
3. Peel the bananas: Carefully peel each banana so that the peels remain relatively intact. You can either use a knife or simply peel them by hand.
4. Save the fruit: Once you’ve got your peels, set the fruit aside for later consumption or another recipe.
5. Cut the peels: Chop the peels into smaller, manageable pieces – about 1 to 2 inches in size – so they can easily fit in the pot.
6. Boil water: Bring enough filtered water to cover the peels (approximately 2 cups for every 2 peels) to a boil in a saucepan or pot.
7. Add peels to boiling water: Carefully place your chopped banana peels into the boiling water and let them steep for about 10 minutes.
8. Strain the liquid: After soaking the banana peels for a sufficient amount of time, strain out the liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a teacup or mug, discarding any solid pieces of the peel.
9. Add sweeteners(Optional): If desired, add your choice of sweetener – such as honey, stevia, or cinnamon – to taste, and mix it well.
Your banana peel tea is now ready to be enjoyed. Sip on this healthy and flavorful drink and reap the benefits it has to offer. Not only are you making the most of an often-discarded part of the fruit, but you’re also treating yourself to a delightful, eco-friendly beverage.