How to Make a Sock Monkey
Sock monkeys have been beloved by children and adults alike for generations. These endearing stuffed animals made from socks are not only cute, but they can also be a great way to recycle old, mismatched socks. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to make your very own sock monkey.
1. A pair of long, clean socks (preferably with a some stretch)
3. Sewing needle and thread
4. Stuffing material (such as polyester fiberfill)
5. Buttons or safety eyes (optional)
6. Embroidery thread or yarn for facial features (mouth, nostrils)
8. A ruler or measuring tape
1. Prepare the socks: Turn one sock inside out, laying it flat with the heel facing up. This sock will be used for the body, legs, and tail of your sock monkey.
2. Cut the body: With your scissors, cut a straight line from the opening down to about 1 inch above the heel (this is where the legs will begin). Then, make two cuts along the sides of the heel for the legs.
3. Sew and stuff the legs: For each leg, sew around the edges with a ¼-inch seam allowance using the backstitch method, leaving an opening at the top for stuffing later on.
4. Turn the sock right side out and stuff each leg evenly with your stuffing material.
5. Create the tail: Using your second sock, cut a long strip about ¾ inch wide from opening to toe of the sock for the tail.
6. Sew along one side of this strip and turn it right side out before stuffing it lightly with your stuffing material.
7. Assembling the body: Close up any openings by sewing them shut. Then, sew the stuffed tail onto the bottom of the sock monkey’s body where the legs meet.
8. Add the face: If using buttons, stitch each one on the face where you’d like the eyes to be. Alternatively, you can use safety eyes if these are meant for young children or pets. Use your embroidery thread or yarn to create a mouth and nostrils for your sock monkey.
9. Make the arms: Cut two equal-sized fabric strips from your second sock (about ¾ inch wide and as long as possible). Sew down one side of each strip, turn them right side out, and stuff them as you did with the tail.
10. Attach arms to body: Sew each arm to either side of your sock monkey’s body at an appropriate height.
11. Create ears: Cut two half-circle-shaped pieces from the remaining scraps of your second sock. Fold each in half (right sides together), sew along the curved edge, then turn right side out. Stitch each ear onto either side of your sock monkey’s head.
Congratulations! You have now successfully created your very own sock monkey! These adorable creatures can become charming playmates or companions for children, as well as great handicrafts for gift-giving or personal keepsakes. Customize your creation by choosing different socks and adding accessories like hats or scarves to make it truly unique and personal to you – happy crafting!