How to Make a Birdcage Veil: 11 Steps
Creating a stunning birdcage veil is an easy way to bring a vintage touch to your wedding day look. With just a few supplies and some quick steps, you’ll have a beautiful, one-of-a-kind accessory that is sure to turn heads. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your own birdcage veil:
1. Gather your materials: You will need tulle or a fine net fabric for the veil, needle and thread in a matching color, hair pins or clips, ribbon, scissors, and a measuring tape.
2. Measure the desired length: Hold the measuring tape across your face to determine the desired length of your birdcage veil. A typical length is around 18 inches.
3. Cut the fabric: Use scissors to cut the tulle/netting into an 18-inch square.
4. Sew edges: If using tulle, fold over each edge about half an inch and sew it along each side to create clean edges. This step is not necessary if using fine net fabric, as it doesn’t tend to fray.
5. Create gathering stitches: Start at one corner of the fabric and sew long, loose running stitches along one edge, finishing at the opposite corner.
6. Gather the fabric: Carefully pull on the thread to gather the fabric along the gathering stitches, creating an accordion-like effect.
7. Adjust and secure gathers: Adjust the gathers until they are evenly spaced across the edge of the fabric, then secure them by tying off the thread with a small knot.
8. Attach ribbon or comb: If using a ribbon or strip of fabric to tie the veil around your head, sew it securely onto each end of the gathered edge. Alternatively, you can attach a small hair comb or clip to hold it in place—simply sew it onto one end of the veil.
9. Try on the veil: Place the veil over your face to ensure it is the correct length and positioned properly. Adjust as necessary.
10. Decorate (optional): To add a touch of glamour, attach small decorations such as faux flowers, feathers, or rhinestones to your veil using hot glue or more sewing. Keep in mind that these additions should be lightweight, so as not to weigh down the veil.
11. Style your hair: To complete the look, select a hairstyle that complements your birdcage veil. Popular choices include up-dos with loose curls or vintage-inspired faux bobs.
And there you have it – in just 11 simple steps, you’ve created a charming birdcage veil that’s perfect for your special day!