How to Highlight Dark Hair: 12 Steps
Highlighting your dark hair can be an excellent way to add dimension and a fun, fresh look. However, highlighting dark hair can be a challenging process, but with the right steps, you can achieve great results. Follow these 12 steps to successfully highlight your dark hair:
1. Determine the desired shade: Before you begin the highlighting process, decide on the shade that will best suit your skin tone and overall appearance.
2. Choose the highlighting method: There are several methods for applying highlights, including foil, balayage, and cap techniques. Choose the one that best aligns with your desired end result.
3. Gather necessary materials: Purchase supplies such as a dye or bleach kit, gloves, brushes, foil or plastic wrap (if using), and hair clips.
4. Perform a strand test: Apply a small amount of the highlighter to a discreet section of your hair to ensure you achieve the desired results without causing damage.
5. Protect your clothing and workspace: Wear old clothes and cover any surfaces that may come into contact with dye or bleach.
6. Section your hair: Divide your hair into four parts – two in the front and two in the back – securing each with a hair clip.
7. Prepare the highlighting mixture: Following the instructions on your chosen dye or bleach kit, mix the formula until it reaches a smooth consistency.
8. Apply the highlights: Using either foils or your chosen method, apply the highlight mixture to select sections of your hair. Begin at the back of your head and work towards the front.
9. Monitor developing time: Keep an eye on how long you let your highlights process, following the recommended time provided in your kit’s instructions.
10. Rinse out the highlighted sections: When processing time is up, carefully rinse out each highlighted section with lukewarm water until all product is removed from your hair.
11. Apply a deep conditioner: To keep your hair healthy and prevent damage, apply a deep conditioner to your entire head, paying particular attention to the highlighted areas.
12. Style as desired: After you wash and condition your hair, style it as you normally would. Enjoy your new, dimensional highlights!
By following these 12 steps, you will be well on your way to achieving beautiful highlights in your dark hair. Remember to take time and care during each step and always perform a strand test to ensure the best possible outcome.