How to Do the Hokey Pokey
The Hokey Pokey is a timeless dance that has entertained generations of children and adults alike. Easy to learn and fun to perform, it is the perfect activity for parties, gatherings, and even livening up dull days. In this article, we will explore the origins of the Hokey Pokey, describe how to perform it, and offer some tips for enjoying this dance with others.
A Brief History of the Hokey Pokey
The origins of the Hokey Pokey are somewhat unclear, with some sources pointing to an English folk dance called “Hinkumbooby” and others to Irish traditions involving a similar movement. It is believed that the modern version of the dance emerged in the United States during World War II, although its popularity quickly spread across borders.
Step-by-Step Guide to Performing the Hokey Pokey
1. Gather your participants: No matter your age or dancing prowess, the Hokey Pokey is designed for everyone! Encourage friends and family to join together in a circle.
2. Begin with a confident leader: Choose someone who knows the song well to lead the group in both lyrics and movements. This ensures everyone can follow along easily.
3. Start with your right hand: The leader sings, “You put your right hand in,” while everyone places their right hand toward the center of the circle.
4. Sing and act out each line:
– “You put your right hand out”: Pull your right hand back out from the circle.
– “You put your right hand in and you shake it all about”: Put your right hand back into the center and energetically shake it.
– “You do the Hokey Pokey, and you turn yourself around”: While stepping in place, spin around once with arms stretched wide.
– Finish by triumphantly belting out, “That’s what it’s all about!”
5. Repeat for other body parts: The traditional order for the Hokey Pokey is right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, head, and finally, “whole self.” However, feel free to get creative and include other fun additions like elbows or knees!
Tips and Tricks for Fun Hokey Pokey Experiences
– Encourage participants to be expressive with their movements! This dance is meant to be lighthearted and playful, so big gestures are appreciated.
– To add an extra layer of excitement to the event, designate different hats or props for each round of the dance.
– If you have a larger group or varying abilities, consider dividing the circle into sections so everyone can see and follow along with ease.
The Hokey Pokey is a simple yet delightful dance that has captured the hearts of generations. With its easy-to-follow steps and spirit of inclusivity, it’s an activity that brings laughter and joy wherever it goes. Whether you’re dancing at a party or simply combating boredom on a rainy day, take a spin with this classic and spread the happiness!