Crockpot Ham Recipe: How To Make Honey-Glazed Ham in the Slow Cooker
A delightful and easy honey-glazed ham is an ideal meal for festive occasions, family gatherings, or even just a casual weekend dinner. When it comes to preparing this scrumptious dish, using a crockpot or slow cooker makes the process incredibly simple and hassle-free. Cooking your ham in a slow cooker not only frees up oven space, but also ensures that your ham stays moist and tender throughout the cooking process. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to create a mouth-watering honey-glazed ham using a crockpot.
– 1 bone-in or boneless fully cooked ham (5-7 lbs)
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup pineapple juice (or orange juice)
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Prepare your slow cooker by lining it with aluminum foil or using a slow cooker liner for easier cleanup.
2. Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the ham in shallow diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart, creating a diamond pattern.
3. Place the ham into the prepared slow cooker, fat side up.
4. In a small bowl, combine honey, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and pineapple juice (or orange juice) to create the glaze.
5. Add ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground ginger to the glaze mixture. Mix well until you have a smooth and uniform consistency.
6. Pour the glaze mixture evenly over the ham, making sure it covers all surfaces and penetrates the scored cuts.
7. Cover the slow cooker with its lid and set it to cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, depending on the size of your ham. Alternatively, you can cook the ham on high heat for 2-3 hours.
8. Halfway through cooking, baste the ham with the glaze that has accumulated at the bottom of the slow cooker. This will ensure an even flavor distribution and a glossy appearance.
9. Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the ham, without touching any bone. The temperature should be at least 140°F (60°C) for pre-cooked hams or 160°F (71°C) for uncooked hams.
10. Carefully remove the ham from the slow cooker using two large spatulas or forks, and transfer it to a cutting board or serving platter.
11. Tent with foil and allow it to rest for about 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Voila! You now have a succulent and tender honey-glazed ham prepared in your slow cooker. Serve this delicious dish alongside your favorite holiday sides, such as mashed potatoes, green beans, or a classic potato gratin, and enjoy!