Best Waldorf Salad Recipe – How to Make Waldorf Salad
The Waldorf Salad, a classic American fruit and nut salad, has been a beloved favorite since it was first created in 1893 at the famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. A simple yet elegant dish, the Waldorf Salad combines crisp apples, grapes, and celery with crunchy walnuts, all tossed in a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing. Perfect as a side dish or light meal, this timeless recipe upholds its popularity for its appealing taste and effortless preparation. Without further ado, let’s delve into how to make the best Waldorf Salad.
– 2 medium apples (red or green), cored and chopped
– 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
– 1 cup diced celery (about three stalks)
– 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
– 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
– Juice of half a lemon
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Lettuce leaves for serving (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped apples, halved grapes, diced celery, and toasted walnuts. If you’re using raisins or dried cranberries for an added burst of flavor and texture, mix them in as well.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, plain yogurt (or sour cream), and lemon juice until smooth. The addition of yogurt or sour cream reduces the richness of the mayonnaise while keeping the dressing creamy and delicious.
3. Pour the dressing over the fruit and nut mixture in the large bowl. Use a spatula to gently fold the ingredients together until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
4. Season your Waldorf Salad with salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a sweeter dressing, you can add some honey or maple syrup as well.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to meld. You can make this salad ahead of time, but it’s best to consume it within 24 hours for optimal freshness.
6. When ready to serve, arrange some lettuce leaves on a platter or individual dishes as a base for the salad. Spoon the chilled Waldorf Salad onto the lettuce and garnish with additional walnuts or fresh herbs if desired.
The classic Waldorf Salad is a versatile dish perfect for any occasion – from casual picnics to elegant dinner parties. Bursting with delightful flavors and textures that are sure to please your palate, this easy-to-make recipe will quickly become a go-to favorite in your culinary repertoire. Gather your ingredients, follow these simple steps, and prepare to enjoy the best Waldorf Salad you’ve ever tasted!