Best Candy Apples Recipe – How To Make Homemade Candy Apples
Candy apples are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed all year round but are especially popular during Fall festivals, Halloween, and carnival celebrations. Making candy apples at home is a fun and easy activity that only requires a few simple ingredients. In this article, we’ll share the best candy apple recipe and provide all the tips you need to create delightful homemade candy apples.
– 6-8 medium sized apples (choose tart varieties like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for balanced sweetness)
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup light corn syrup
– 3/4 cup water
– 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional, but adds a vibrant color)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional for added flavor)
– Candy thermometer
– Wooden spoon
– Baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper
– Apple sticks or skewers
1. First, prepare the apples by washing and drying them thoroughly. Remove the apple stems and insert an apple stick or skewer into the top of each apple. Set aside on the prepared baking sheet or plate.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water. Over medium to high heat, cook the mixture until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
3. When the sugar has dissolved, attach the candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan and continue cooking without stirring. Keep an eye on the thermometer as it should reach the temperature of 300°F (150°C), also known as “hard crack” stage.
4. Once your mixture has reached 300°F (150°C), remove it from heat and carefully stir in red food coloring if using, taking care of any splashes since the mixture will be extremely hot.
5. Allow the mixture to cool for about 2-3 minutes; then carefully stir in the vanilla extract, if using, and mix it well.
6. Hold each apple by the stick or skewer and dip them into the candy mixture, making sure they are completely coated. Allow excess candy to drip back into the saucepan before placing the apple back on the prepared baking sheet or plate. Repeat this process for each apple.
7. Let your candy apples cool and harden at room temperature for at least 30-45 minutes before enjoying them or wrapping them as a gift.
– Make sure your apples are completely dry before dipping them; otherwise, the candy coating may not adhere properly.
– For a smooth and shiny candy coating, try dipping the apples twice – once the first layer has set, give them another dip.
– Try adding a tablespoon of cinnamon for a fantastic flavor twist on the classic recipe – it adds an autumn touch to your creation!
– Candy apples can be stored in an airtight container or individually wrapped in cellophane if you plan to give them as gifts.
This homemade candy apple recipe is perfect for creating a delicious and eye-catching treat to share with friends and family. These candy apples also make an attractive gift during any festive season. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you too can create fantastic homemade candy apples!