9 Ways That Artificial Intelligence Helps Improve Student Outcomes
I receive a lot of correspondence from teachers, professors, and education administrators who are interested in finding our out how they can leverage artificial intelligence in PreK-12 and higher education. More specifically, they want to find out how they can use artificial intelligence to improve student outcomes. I usually respond by referring them to some of the general articles that I have written on the topic of artificial intelligence. Although these articles discuss the use of artificial intelligence in education, I wanted to produce a piece of content that focuses in on the use of AI technologies to improve student outcomes. In this short piece, we will do just that.
Let’s look at 9 ways that artificial intelligence improves student outcomes.
- As new technologies and devices become increasingly nuanced and sophisticated, they will be able to capture and track voice, visual and biological data. AI will then be able to leverage these technologies to assess complex skills. For example, AI will be able to monitor eye contact during group discussions. How does this help educators? It allows them to gauge their learner’s levels of understanding and focus.
- AI can pinpoint the most effective pedagogical strategies, techniques, methods, etc. and the applications and contexts of learning that are needed for the next generation.
- AI can assist with extensive data collection and analytics tasks, which helps educators to find the most effective pedagogical and classroom management techniques for each individual student.
- AI can consolidate content and information to support curriculum delivery with deep learning.
- AI can provide just-in-time assessment by leveraging learning analytics and big data to find changes in confidence and motivation levels in individual students. This allows educators to administer timely interventions to struggling students.
- AI can develop tools to assess a student’s level of understanding by analyzing how a student arrived at an answer. This gives educators valuable insights into a student’s thought process, which can be used to develop personalized learning plans. This, in turn, will help students pursue an educational path that serves two purposes. It allows students to learn concepts and skills that interest them and helps them to live up to their full academic potential
- AI can be used to create systems that will enable educators to track the progress of students in their classroom at an individual level. This includes measures that have historically been difficult for educators to assess, such as creativity, innovativeness, and
- AI can provide students with a personal tutor to assist them when they need help mastering a learning experience.
- AI can be used to develop meaningful learning experiences such as gamified learning, project-based learning, etc.
What else did we miss?