4 Ways to Plaque Mount Posters Using MDF
Mounting posters can not only protect them from damage but also give them a professional, polished look. One popular option for mounting posters is plaque mounting using MDF (medium-density fiberboard), a strong and affordable material. In this article, we will explore four methods of plaque mounting posters using MDF.
1. Adhesive Film Technique:
The adhesive film technique involves using a high-strength adhesive film to attach your poster to the MDF board. For this method, you’ll need an MDF board cut to the size of your poster, adhesive film, a squeegee or credit card, and a sharp cutting tool.
– Start by applying the adhesive film to the MDF board, ensuring it is evenly distributed and free of air bubbles.
– Carefully align one edge of your poster with the edge of the MDF board and gradually roll it onto the adhesive-covered surface.
– Use the squeegee or credit card to smooth out any air bubbles or creases as you apply the poster.
– Once fully adhered, trim any excess adhesive film with a sharp cutting tool for neat edges.
2. Wet Glue Method:
This method involves using PVA (polyvinyl acetate) glue or similar wet adhesive to mount your poster onto the MDF board. You’ll need an MDF board cut to size, glue, foam roller or brush, and a weight or press.
– Begin by spreading a thin, even layer of glue onto the MDF board using a foam roller or brush.
– Carefully align your poster with the edges of the board and lower it onto the glue-covered surface.
– Smooth out any air bubbles and wipe away excess glue from the edges before it dries.
– Place a protective sheet over your mounted poster and place weights or use a press on top.
– Allow the glue to dry according to manufacturer instructions before removing the weight or press.
3. Spray Adhesive Method:
For this method, you’ll need an MDF board cut to size, a spray adhesive specifically designed for mounting posters, and a squeegee or credit card.
– Lay your poster on a clean and flat surface with the image side down.
– Apply an even layer of spray adhesive across the entire backside of the poster.
– Position your MDF board onto the sprayed poster, aligning the edges carefully.
– Flip the mounted poster and use a squeegee or credit card to gently smooth out any air bubbles or creases.
– Allow the adhesive to dry as directed on the product packaging.
4. Vacuum Press Mounting Technique:
The vacuum press mounting technique gives the best results but requires specialized equipment. This method is best suited for professional framing shops or individuals with access to vacuum press equipment.
– Ensure your MDF board is cut to size and clean.
– Secure your poster to the MDF using one of the previous methods mentioned above (adhesive film, wet glue, or spray adhesive).
– Place your mounted poster into a vacuum press ensuring it lays flat and evenly on the surface.
– Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for operating a vacuum press, allowing the appropriate time for an even bond between your poster and MDF.
By using any of these four techniques, you can professionally plaque mount your posters using MDF boards. These methods are suitable for different skill levels and resources, allowing anyone to enjoy beautifully mounted posters that will stand the test of time.