3 Ways to Open Pistachios
Pistachios are not only delicious but they are also packed with health benefits. They’re rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making them a great addition to your daily diet. However, opening these hard-shelled nuts can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. If you’re struggling to pry open your favorite snack, here are three ways to open pistachios.
1. The “Lever” Method
The lever method is a simple and straightforward way to crack open a pistachio shell. All you need is another pistachio shell—preferably one with a slightly curved or pointed end.
– Hold the unopened pistachio firmly between your thumb and index finger.
– Take the slightly curved or pointed end of the empty shell and insert it into the crack of the unopened nut.
– Gently twist or move the empty shell like a lever, applying pressure to both sides of the unopened pistachio. This should cause the shell to split apart.
– Now you can easily remove and enjoy the tasty kernel inside!
2. The “Crushing” Method
The crushing method works best on pistachios with partially opened shells. This technique uses an everyday tool found in most kitchens: a garlic press.
– Hold a garlic press upside down, so that the flat part is facing up.
– Place the partially opened pistachio in between the two flat surfaces of the garlic press.
– Apply gentle pressure until you hear (or feel) a slight crack. Be cautious not to apply too much force, as it can crush the kernel inside.
– Take out the cracked shell from the press and easily remove the nut.
3. The “Freezing” Method
Freezing is an unconventional approach that can help people who struggle with opening stubborn nuts. This technique might come in handy if you have limited dexterity or simply want to try a different method.
– Place the pistachios in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bag.
– Put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. The cold temperature will cause the shells to contract slightly, making it easier to crack them open.
– Remove the pistachios from the freezer and give them a few minutes to thaw just enough to handle comfortably.
– Use any of the previously mentioned methods (lever or crushing) or simply use your hands to gently crack and open the shells.
Now that you’re armed with three effective ways to open pistachios, you’re ready to tackle even the toughest nut. Happy snacking!