3 Ways to Hop a Fence
Every now and then, you might find yourself faced with the need to hop a fence. Whether you’re trying to take a shortcut, retrieve an object, or just testing your agility, knowing a few techniques can come in handy. This article will teach you three simple ways to go about clambering over that fence without causing injury.
1. The Roll-Over Technique:
The Roll-Over Technique is one of the simplest and safest ways to hop over a fence. It’s particularly beginner-friendly and is ideal for average-height fences.
– Approach the fence perpendicularly.
– Place your hands on top of the fence.
– Swing your dominant leg up and over while keeping your other knee bent.
– Use your hands to push up and roll your body over the fence.
– Land on the balls of your feet, bending your knees to absorb the impact.
2. The Cat Leap Approach:
The Cat Leap Approach is excellent for taller fences but requires slightly more upper body strength than the Roll-Over Technique.
– Run toward the fence at an angle.
– Perform a small jump-propelling yourself off one foot to set up for the main leap.
– Jump towards the fence, planting both hands firmly on top.
– Outstretch your legs as high as possible while using arms to pull yourself closer.
– Swing one leg quickly over the fence then follow with the other.
– Slide down safely, letting go of the top bar when halfway down.
3. The Over-the-Side Technique:
The Over-the-Side Technique allows for more control during descent and keeps a low profile when hopping shorter fences without barbed wire.
– Approach the side of the fence where support posts are located.
– Stand parallel to a post and grip it tightly with both hands.
– Step onto the lowest horizontal bar by placing your foot between support bars (wear sturdy shoes to avoid risk of slipping).
– Advance your hands up the post while pushing off the horizontal bar with your foot.
– Swing your dominant leg up and over the fence.
– Bring your other leg up while gripping the post firmly, then lower yourself down.
Now that you know three simple techniques for hopping a fence, you’ll be able to handle unexpected obstacles with relative ease. It’s essential, however, to always respect private property and obey the law when faced with fenced-off areas. Lastly, practice safety when attempting these techniques at all times!