3 Easy Ways to Prevent Earwax Buildup
Earwax, also known as cerumen, is a natural substance produced by the glands in your ears. It plays an essential role in protecting and lubricating the ear canal. However, excessive earwax buildup can lead to discomfort, hearing loss, and even infection. This article will provide you with three easy ways to prevent earwax buildup.
1. Maintain proper ear hygiene
Regularly cleaning your ears is crucial in keeping them free from excessive earwax. To clean your ears, follow these simple steps:
– Use a warm, damp washcloth to gently clean the outer part of your ear. Avoid using cotton swabs or anything that could push the wax further into your ear canal.
– After a shower or bath, tilt your head to one side and gently tug on your earlobe to help excess water and wax drain out naturally.
– Refrain from inserting foreign objects into your ears, as it can inadvertently cause more harm than good.
Remember always to be gentle when cleaning your ears and avoid over-cleaning them as this could also cause issues.
2. Keep your ears dry
Excess moisture can lead to the accumulation of earwax and increase the risk of infection. To prevent this problem:
– Make sure you dry your ears thoroughly after swimming, showering, or taking a bath.
– Consider wearing swimmer’s earplugs when swimming or participating in water sports to keep water out of the ears.
– Avoid using any oily products such as creams or lotions inside your ears.
3. Use earwax softening drops
If you’re prone to earwax buildup, using an over-the-counter (OTC) earwax softening solution might be an excellent preventative measure. These drops are designed to soften the wax inside your ears making it easier for it to move out naturally. Follow these steps for safe use:
– Lie on your side with the affected ear facing up.
– Apply the recommended number of drops into the ear canal or as instructed by the product’s label.
– Stay in the same position for about five to ten minutes, allowing the drops to work.
– Gently press a tissue against your ear and sit up, letting the liquefied wax drain out.
Always follow the instructions provided with the earwax softening drops, and consult a healthcare professional if you’re unsure about their usage or efficacy.
In conclusion, avoiding earwax buildup is easy when you practice good ear hygiene, keep your ears dry, and consider using OTC softening drops if needed. If you experience persistent or severe earwax buildup, consult a healthcare professional to address any underlying causes and prevent potential complications.