19 of the Best Science Apps for High School Students
At last count, there were over 80,000 educational apps available to teachers. There are apps for everything: literacy, STEM, productivity, audiovisual, etc. There are apps which improve accessibility for students with different learning challenges, i.e. text to voice, voice to text, etc.
While many of these may be a dream come true for educators, the dizzying array of choices is also a nightmare. Teachers just don’t have time to filter through thousands of apps to find the one that works best for the needs of their students. To help, we started to create curated lists of the best apps in a variety of education related categories. In this installment, we will present the best science apps for high school students.
- NASA Global Climate Change – Vital Signs of the Planet– A large cache of information about climate change.
- BioInteractive– This multimedia site brings biological research to life.
- NOVA Labs– Provides students with expert information about science and provides teachers with ideas for dynamic science experiments.
- Design Squad Nation– An app that allows classmates to compete to solve fun engineering problems.
- SketchUp– By using Sketchup teachers make learning connect through 3D design.
- The Chemical Touch– This amazing resource will help students ace Chemistry. Once a student touches a specific element, they can study it more in depth such as its atomic mass and properties.
- Frog Dissection– Frog dissecting, can now be done virtually. Featuring step-by-step instructions, there is plenty of in-depth information on each of the frog’s organs including anatomical comparisons to human organs.
- Stephen Hawking’s Snapshots of the Universe– This app includes 10 interactive experiments and video segments to help students study our universe.
- NASA Visualization Explorer– Perfect for expanding upon concepts learned in class or research for projects, this NASA app helps students explore our universe even more.
- Got It!– Students studying for the SAT, chemistry, or physics can get extra help and explanations with this app.
- Anatomy 4D– For high school and college students, Anatomy 4D is a great resource for studying anatomy.
- Physics Calculator– With fill-in-the-blank equations for motion, energy, power, gravity, and many more physic properties, this app is a quick solving tool for those hard to answer physics problems.
- iCell App– Studying the cell became easier with this 3-D cell app. Students can view the cell structures and dynamics for plants, animals, and bacteria.
- Ptable– Ultimate periodic table that comes with comprehensive tools and resources.
- Scitable– Helpful teacher tools, with articles suited for advanced bio students.
- Frog Dissection– Allows students to participate in a virtual dissection of a frog.
- Couragion– Individualized STEM career exploration targets students’ values.
- Zygote Body– Create and explore spectacular 3-D human body visuals.
- D.A.M. Interactive Anatomy– Search images of the human body with this powerful, customizable anatomy curriculum.
Did we miss any? If so, list them in the comments section below.